- 1 Analyze the presence of viruses or malware
- 2 Activate Windows 10 Quick Start
- 3 Disable system startup programs
- 4 Prevent applications from running in the background
- 5 Bypass lock screen when starting Windows 10
- 6 Deactivate the delay time for the start of programs
- 7 Configure MSConfig
- 8 Use third-party tools
- 9 Update graphics card drivers
- 10 Reduce graphic and visual effects
- 11 Use the high-performance power plan
- 12 Free up space and optimize your storage units
- 13 Increase available virtual memory
- 14 Disable Cortana
- 15 Empty cache and delete junk data
- 16 Exchange the hard drive for an SSD
- 17 Maintain the equipment regularly
- 18 Conclusions
Sometimes you will notice that the boot of your computer slows down with time and use; which generates a lot of inconvenience and discomfort in its operation. However, the Windows 10 operating system has several ways to optimize performance and greatly increase speed. So that you know these options, in this guide we explain how to speed up Windows 10 startup.
Analyze the presence of viruses or malware
Computer startup may become slow due to the attack of a virus or malware. These elements take advantage of the system boot process to carry out their activity. Because of this, the startup process can slow down. In this case, it is best to run a full scan of your computer, in order to detect and eliminate any threat present on the computer that is causing it to start up very slowly.
In order to take care of the security of the computer and keep it well protected, the following are some recommendations that you must comply with:
- You must be careful when browsing the Internet, so that you avoid those sites and links that do not seem very reliable.
- Do not open files or click on links received by email from unknown contacts.
- Nor in those that you are not completely sure that they have their origin in reliable sources.
- Security scans must be carried out with a suitable antivirus program on a regular basis.
- Use the functions of blocking computer attacks in real time.
Activate Windows 10 Quick Start
This Microsoft operating system contains a special function that allows you to speed up its startup. It’s about the Windows 10 Quick Start option; which is available in the Control Panel and can be easily activated by carrying out the following instructions:
- The first thing you do is enter the Control Panel.
- Once there, you must select the option Hardware and Sound.
- After this, you have to enter Energy options.
- Then you press on System configuration.
- At this time you must select the option Enable quick start in the next window.
- Lastly, what to do is Save the changes.
In case this option cannot be activated or deactivated, you have to click on Change settings currently unavailable.
Disable system startup programs
Another option to speed up the startup of Windows 10 is to disable those programs whose start is done with the system startup. To do this, the following steps have to be carried out:
- First of all, you have to open the Task Manager.
- After this, you have to select the tab beginning.
- Now, you have to look for programs that do not need to be run at system startup.
- Finally, each one of them is chosen and the right button of the mouse is clicked.
- In the options that appear, press the To disable.
Prevent applications from running in the background
Another point that may be affecting the system startup is the running applications in the background. Therefore, this should be prevented from happening and thus it can be verified that your computer boots more quickly this way. The steps you have to follow to achieve this are described below:
- The first step is to enter the system configuration page.
- Next, you need to select the option Privacy.
- The next step is to click on the option Background applications.
- Once you are in that option, you are going to uncheck all the applications that appear to you, so that they do not run in the background on the system.
- You can also slide the switch that configures the execution of all of them in the background.
Bypass lock screen when starting Windows 10
One configuration that can help us speed up the start of Windows 10 is to avoid going through the lock screen with every computer startup. To achieve this, all we have to do is open the window of User account and modify this option, using the following instructions:
- The first thing is to open the window Run, pressing the keys Win + R.
- Then you enter netplwiz and then press To accept or Enter.
- At this point, you must select from the list of users the one you prefer not to go through the lock screen when starting the computer.
- Now, that box is unchecked and users now have to enter their name and password to use the equipment.
- Finally, it must be applied in order for the changes to be saved.
Deactivate the delay time for the start of programs
With this simple setting it is also possible speed up the system startup process. This allows time for the system to boot, and then the startup programs.
To do this, you must carry out the procedure:
- The first step is to open a command prompt window.
- After that, regedit is entered and Enter is pressed.
- Next, being in the Windows 10 registry you go to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerSerialize.
- In case that route does not exist, then you must go to this other one, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer
- At this point, you have to create a new key and you will call it Serialize.
- Inside this key you must create a new DWORD value (32 bits) named StartupDelayInMSec.
- After creating this key you have to be sure that its value is 0.
- Now you close the registry window and you need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Another measure you can take to make Windows 10 accelerate its startup is configure MSConfig. Although its weight is no longer that of previous versions of Windows, it can still be useful to speed up the system startup.
The process to be carried out consists of the following steps:
- Initially, the Windows key plus R key and choose the option Run.
- You can also right-click on the start menu icon.
- Next, the following is entered in the space provided for it, next to where it says Open: msconfig.
- At this time it is necessary that you click on the button To accept.
- After this, in the new window that will open you have to go to the tab Start.
- Now, at the bottom, in the area of Boot options you will see a name section No GUI Boot or No GUI boot, which you have to mark.
With this you will have achieved that the system startup is faster, since the process bar that you see when you turn on the computer will not appear.
Use third-party tools
It is also possible to help yourself with any of the third-party tools that offer to speed up Windows 10 startup in an automatic and easier way.
Among the most accepted and commonly used are:
Glarysoft Startup Manager
Glarysoft Startup Manager is responsible for calculating the time it takes for the computer to start. In addition to this, it measures how long it takes for all startup processes or applications to load. In this way it is possible to deactivate any of these applications and services that are affecting the start of its execution.
Argente Autorun is a tool that allows you to view startup programs, services and tasks planned. It offers a simple way to deactivate the programs that we are not interested in starting or also delay them.
Starter is a tool that offers you practically the same options as the others in this segment. However, more information about the new programs that are launched is included.
Autorun Organizer is able to apply a delay to applications that are running at startup; in addition to delaying the loading of those very heavy or unnecessary, so that other applications can be opened without problems.
Ashampoo WinOptimizer is another alternative created to facilitate general Windows optimization. Among its functions, the most interesting for this purpose is the name StartUp Tuner, which will help you with the elimination of unwanted programs that start together with the operating system and, in this way, it is possible to accelerate the startup of Windows 10.
Update graphics card drivers
Sometimes delays in starting your computer can be due to drivers of your Graphic card. If they are faulty or very old they can cause the process to be slower.
This can be solved in an easy and simple way, following the instructions below:
- The first step is to right click on it home icon.
- Next, you must select the Device administrator.
- Once you’ve logged in, look for the graphics card in the pop-up menu.
- Finally, you right click on it and then choose Update driver software.
With this process you will be able to have the drivers updated and you will rule out that they are the ones that cause the slow start of your computer.
Reduce graphic and visual effects
Windows 10 animations and graphics effects are resource consuming and require minimal hardware to perform at their best. Reduce the graphical and visual effects of Windows 10 It is a very easy process, quite safe and can be reversed in a short time. The steps required to complete the change are as follows:
- The first thing to do is press the keys at the same time Windows + R, in order to open the window.
- Once you are inside that window you enter cpl.
- In the new window that will open, you enter System properties and then you choose the function Advanced Options.
- Next, you press on the function Performance.
- Then, you have to click on the option Setting.
- At this point, you need to choose from a number of default settings, such as Adjust for best performance, and it is also possible to activate and deactivate different options in order to create a personalized configuration, choosing the option for this.
The simplest and quickest way to make the best performance tuning is to select the first option, the one with the best performance.
Use the high-performance power plan
Your power plan influences your computer’s performance, and choosing the right one can make Windows 10 run faster. The low-power plan lowers the power requirement, but with lower performance, while the balanced mode goes somewhere in between. On the other hand, high performance mode places performance above consumption.
When your PC has limited performance, the high performance power plan it can represent a remarkable and important change. To do this, it is necessary to carry out the steps indicated below:
- First of all, you have to press the Windows key and type Edit Power Plan.
- Once the first result appears, you must enter and choose the option Change Advanced Power Settings.
- At this time you can select one of the predetermined plans, but it is also possible to create a personalized one adapted to your needs as much as possible.
The power plan can be changed back at any time by repeating these same steps.
Free up space and optimize your storage units
Despite being an important resource, storage space is also very limited. When space is low, new applications and programs cannot be installed, and even those that are already installed may not work properly. All of this can also cause operating system performance failures.
You can do that Windows 10 boots faster by freeing up storage space, and optimizing the units. It is a quick and simple process, which you will achieve by following the instructions explained below:
- To free up space you can use the Disk Cleanup Windows 10. To enter it, you have to press the Windows key and enter its name.
- Now, you enter the first result, select the drive in which you want to free up space and check the boxes related to the contents and files that you prefer to delete to free up space.
- You may also reclaim space using the function Free Up Space Now. To get to that option, you just have to press the Windows key and then type Storage Settings.
- If you want to optimize the storage unit, press the Windows key and type Defragment and Optimize Drives. In the first result, you only have to choose the unit that you are interested in optimizing.
Increase available virtual memory
With this configuration, it is possible to make Windows 10 start faster on those computers that have little RAM available. It is especially suggested in systems that have RAM between one and two gigabytes.
When no more RAM is available, the system consumes a portion of the hard disk storage and uses it as virtual memory. Increasing this available virtual memory will cause the system to consume more of the storage, and can use it as virtual RAM.
This setting is commonly made automatically by Windows 10, but it can also be configured manually and set a minimum value equal to the total RAM you have installed, and a maximum of triple. To modify it, it is necessary to follow the following steps:
- In principle, you need to press the Windows key and type System.
- After this, you have to choose the section Advanced System Configuration and select the option Performance.
- Then you press on Setting and then you choose Advanced Options.
- At this time, we enter Change and uncheck the option to manage automatically.
- You choose the unit that you want to use and the values in megabytes that you prefer to set. Finally, it is accepted and the setting is done.
Windows has its own assistant, known as Cortana, integrated, which can be useful for any questions that arise when you use the operating system. In general, it is not widely used, but having it activated generates a greater consumption of system resources. This is something that can affect boot time on older, less powered computers. In case you are not using it, it is best to disable it completely and follow this simple procedure:
- The first thing you have to do is write Cortana in the search engine.
- Then you choose the option Application settings.
- Finally, in the section on Setting you have to uncheck the box so that it doesn’t run when you log in.
Empty cache and delete junk data
Every computer system has a cache memory, which is a buffer memory in which programs store data in order to quickly retrieve it at any time. However, sometimes this memory can contain unnecessary data that slows down the system. For this reason, one of the most important things you can take to speed up Windows 10 is to regularly clean the cache and you can do it by following these instructions:
- The first step is to write Disk Cleanup in the search box on the taskbar.
- Next, the corresponding result must be selected.
- At this time, you must choose the drive you want to clean and then confirm the selection with the option To accept.
- Now Windows 10 automatically calculates how much memory the cleaning process can free up.
- Another option you have is to select and delete files manually.
- Finally, select the files you prefer to delete and confirm with the function To accept.
Exchange the hard drive for an SSD
Hardware adjustments can also be made to help your PC start up faster. This consists of exchanging your mechanical HD for a solid state drive, SSD, which will allow Windows 10 to start up considerably.
Maintain the equipment regularly
A fundamental part of any equipment is regular maintenance, not only because the lack of this will affect its performance, but also because it will significantly impact its useful life. A computer that has never been cleaned properly and has never had the thermal paste changed could fail prematurely.
Dust and dirt can block the ventilation slots, reduce the cooling capacity of the fans, and create the ideal environment for temperatures to rise. This excess heat reduces the performance and useful life of some of its components.
On the other hand, thermal paste, which works as an element that accelerates the transfer of heat between the CPU, the GPU and their cooling systems, dries out over time, so it loses its properties and the heat accumulates with greater intensity. in those components.
The procedure to take care of your equipment, and keep it in good condition, consists of following the steps indicated below:
- Deep cleaning your equipment should be done at least once a year.
- The CPU thermal paste should be changed at least once every two years.
- In the case of the GPU, the frequency of maintenance they require is variable. Temperatures must be controlled from the second year of purchase; in case the working temperatures rise, a thermal paste change must be planned.
There are several ways to achieve speed up Windows 10 startup on your computer. Some through configurations in the operating system software and others by taking appropriate measures to maintain the computer hardware.
It is recommended that several of these options be applied in combination; in this way you can increase the performance of the computer and achieve increase Windows 10 boot speed. This will avoid the need to make a considerable investment of resources in the purchase of new equipment.