On another occasion we will tell you the Best programs to open ISO files in Windows and MacOS, but today we are going to focus on opening DLL files in Windows step by step. DLL files or “Dynamic List Library” in English are files that contain other files inside. They can be images, text files, font types and various commands so that the application can work properly. If for any reason you want open a dll file easily in windowswhether to explore its content out of curiosity, to obtain a specific file within it, or to extract the files and repackage them after a modification, we will show you how to carry out this process.
How to open Windows DLL files?
DLL files can contain important data for multiple programs. These are within the configuration and we will rarely have to access them to modify them. However, if that is your case, we will tell you how you can do it.
Sometimes you need one of the components that come packaged in these dynamic access libraries, and there’s no other way to get it than opening a dll file. But this process is very delicate, you will have to make a copy of the DLL file in question in order to proceed to open it and, in the event that it is damaged or erroneously modified, it will not harm your computer.
You should also know that the trick of renaming the extension to .txt will not work. If you open these files as if they were a document (a procedure that can be used for other types of files), you will not get anything but a group of meaningless characters and symbols. This happens because the text format does not support the encoding of this type of library.
show dll files in folder
It is necessary to show the DLL files in the folder before copying and pasting them in a safe location, you can do this by following these steps:
- The first thing is very simple, you will have to open the folder that contains the DLL files from which you want to extract the content. After that go to tools menu and select Folder options.
- In this section select the menu “Watch”.
- Then check the box “show hidden files” and distills “Hide system protected files”.
Find the DLL file(s)
Now you just have to find the DLL files from which you want to extract the content. You can search for files in a specific application folder, extract content from a downloaded DLL, or search for these files in Equipment > Local Disk C: > Windows > System 32 (either SysWOW64).
Now it’s time to extract a DLL. Before modifying a DLL you will have to copy the original file on the desktop or in a folder identified with the name of said DLL file. The second option would be preferable, as DLLs can generate a large number of files after extraction.
Now, for the DLL extraction process you can use a special tool for it, as it is DotPeek. There are several available, but this one is safe and intuitive to use.
Opening the program interface you will notice that it is very simple, you will follow these steps to complete the extraction process:
- In the upper left corner locate the menu file and click on it.
- After this, select Open.
- Navigate to the folder you created earlier or the location of the DLL file you copied, select it, and open it.
- You will be able to see the content of each DLL that you open using this method, without the need to extract or modify it.
- Navigate between the different folders included in the DLL file and retrieve the files you need from within this dynamic library. From DotPeek you will be able to examine each subdirectory.
- Now you can comfortably extract code by exporting it in different languages, extract images, directories or modify or add code to these files and then save them in their modified version in the next step. For this use the option “Export to Project”.
- This will create an editable file using the Visual Studio programming suite. Download the latest version of this software, carry out the same process that you did with DotPeek, only with the extracted code file and you will be able to modify it directly.
In this way you will be able to extract information, add or modify it in a simple way. Thus, you will be able to modify certain patterns or events in a video game, fix the code so that it works properly with a program and multiple additional uses.