The errors that occur in dll files in Windows 10 can be due to different reasons, such as from a configuration error to a virus on the computer. The errors that appear in the system when this file is missing can affect the graphical part or the networks, among others, each of them affecting the use of Windows 10. That is why when the error occurs msvcp140.dll file is missing, which is closely related to the Visual C ++ libraries for Visual Studio, it is necessary to correct it so as not to affect some of the most used programs and applications.
Msvcp140 It is a file of the dll type (Dynamic Links Library), and it is essential in the Windows operating system. It contains procedures and controller functions. It is also known as the Microsoft C Runtime Library, and is generally associated with Visual Studio. Its proper functioning is essential for Windows programs to function properly. When the msvcp140.dll file is missing, it affects the operation of other programs that need it.
Reasons why msvcp140.dll error appears
Errors that are related to the msvcp140.dll file They can occur for a variety of reasons, such as a faulty program, the file has been mistakenly deleted or is in the wrong location, the computer has been corrupted by a virus, or a Windows registry is corrupted. has damaged.
The most common error messages related to this file are:
- The program cannot be started because the msvcp140.dll file is missing from the computer. Try to install the program again to correct this problem.
- There was a problem starting msvcp140.dll. The specified module cannot be found.
- Error loading msvcp140.dll. The specified module was not found.
- Code execution cannot be continued because the msvcp140.dll file cannot be found. This problem can be fixed by reinstalling the program.
- The application failed to start because the msvcp140.dll file was not found. By reinstalling the application you can fix the problem.
- msvcp140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Install the program again using the original installation media, or contact your system administrator or software developer for help.
For almost all cases the solution is to go back properly install the msvcp140.dll file on the computer, inside the Windows system folder. Keep in mind that some programs, especially computer games, necessarily need to be located in the folder where the game or application is installed.
Possible causes of msvcp140.dll error
At any time it is possible that this failure could occur, affecting the operation of the programs that are configured in the operating system.
Among the possible causes by which this file is affected are:
- The dll file has been inadvertently deleted.
- That it has been overwritten.
- When you have been infected by malware.
- The disk where the dll file is stored got corrupted.
- Hardware device is missing or damaged.
- The version is incompatible with the computer’s operating system.
Check the recycle bin
It may be that the msvcp140.dll file It is not on your computer because it was accidentally deleted and is in the recycle bin. To check, open the recycle bin and find the file. In case there are many files, type the name of the file in the search box to find it. If it is found, right-click on the file and select Restore from the pop-up context menu.
How to fix the error with the MSVCP140 file
To fix the msvcp140.dll error in Windows 10 almost always the file must be properly reinstalled on the computer, in the folder where all system files are stored. But in certain programs and games it is necessary for the .dll file to be installed in the same location where the game or program is located.
In general, the errors in this file are related to the Visual ++ libraries that are responsible for controlling Visual Studio in the Windows 10 operating system. If for some reason the library is not available or you have an error due to being corrupted, it is likely that this error will also appear on your computer.
For this reason, in order to be able to solve this frequent error that usually occurs in the Windows operating system, the steps to follow are:
- First of all, what you need to do is download the library and reinstall it. It is important that before proceeding to download the library, you verify if it is suitable for your computer, since it can be found available for 32-bit and 64-bit processors.
- Download msvcp140.dll for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- After you check which version corresponds to your computer, you can proceed to download the .dll file on the system.
- When the file is finished downloading, you must install it, as you would with any program, following the instructions.
- To finish it is necessary to restart the computer, and when it is turned on again, this error should be solved.
Fix the error with the msvcp140.dll file manually
In the event that the above procedure did not work for correct the error, and therefore it continues to appear on the computer, you can carry out another series of steps aimed at solving it. This alternative is to manually install the file to fix the msvcp140.dll error in Windows 10 or other versions.
- First download the corresponding file to your computer, either 32 or 64 bits.
- When the msvcp140.dll file appropriate for your operating system is downloaded, you must have previously installed Visual ++ correctly on the computer.
- At the end of downloading the .dll file, you must unzip it in a folder, since it is available in RAR or ZIP format.
- Then, you must open the program in which the message appears that The msvcp140.dll file is missing. Right-click on Open file location and move the downloaded msvcp140.dll file to the source folder of the program or game that is crashing due to this dll.
You also have the option of copy the msvcp140.dll file in the path: C: Windows System32 so that other applications or games will not present the same error. At the end of these steps, all Windows libraries should already work correctly.
Fix error with msvcp140.dll file by commands
Another of the alternatives available to verify that this file has been fixed, is to do a scan of the Windows libraries, following these steps:
- The first step is to open a Command Prompt window with administrator privileges.
- Then you must type the command sfc / scannow.
- You must then press the Enter key to start a scan of the integrity of the Windows files.
- When this process is finished, a message will be displayed showing the files that you have corrected or if there is no problem with them.
- To finish you must restart the computer to be able to check if the error has already been solved. On some occasions this error is solved, but other related errors may appear, which are corrected in a similar way to the steps that were carried out previously.
Copy the msvcp140.dll file from another computer
You also have the option to try copy the msvcp140.dll file from another computer that is totally reliable and that operates with the same operating system, and then paste it in the appropriate location on your computer.
For this process you must follow these steps:
- Perform the search on another computer that has the same installed operating system than your computer. Keep in mind that the two versions of the operating system (Windows 7, 8 or 10) and the architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) must be the same.
- On the other computer, open File Explorer and navigate to C: Windows System32 and copy the msvcp140.dll file to an external storage device, such as a USB stick or portable disk.
- Then paste the file that you have copied in the same location, that is C: Windows System32, on your computer.
- To finish you must restart the program in which the error occurred and check that the error has been solved.
Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
As noted above, the msvcp140.dll file it is part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio. It is usually installed automatically when Windows is installed, but if it is corrupted, the msvcp140.dll error appears. This problem can be solved very easily by reinstalling only the Microsoft Visual C ++ redistributable package.
To do this, follow the steps indicated below:
Enter the download page Microsoft Visual C ++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 and select the correct language, then click Download.
- Select the appropriate file for your operating system and then click Next.
- After the file download is complete, follow the prompts to install.
- Finally, restart the computer and open the program in which the error occurred, in order to verify if the error has already been solved.
Do a clean installation of the program
Another option is to make a clean installation of the program in which the error occurs, in order to correct the failures produced by the missing msvcp140.dll file.
To install the program, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to open the Run dialog.
- Type the instruction appwiz.cpl in the box and then click OK to open the Programs and Features window.
- Right-click on the program in which the error occurs and choose the Uninstall option and confirm this process.
- Then, restart your computer and install the program again.
- Start the program so that you can check if the error has been solved.
Perform an anti-virus scan of the system
There is also the possibility that the error stating that msvcp140.dll file is missing It may occur because there is a virus on the computer, which prevents the program you are going to run from finding the file msvcp140.dll. For this reason, it is advisable to carry out an antivirus scan to rule out this reason.
For a complete analysis using Windows Defender these are the steps to follow:
- First open the Settings option and click on Update and security.
- Then click on Windows Security and then on Virus and threat protection under Protection areas.
- Click on Scan Options and then select Full Scan in the pop-up window that will be displayed, Click on Scan Now.
- You must wait for the whole process to be carried out, which will show if there are any viruses or malware on the computer. If there is, you can use Windows Defender to remove it.
- Finally, restart Windows and then start the program in which the error occurs so that you can check whether or not the error continues.
Fix msvcp140.dll missing error with an application
With the app WikiDll Fixer it is possible to automatically repair errors in the msvcp140.dll file. This application downloads the correct version of msvcp140.dll totally free, in addition to suggesting the correct directory to install. You can also resolve other issues that are related to the msvcp140.dll file.
- Download the application and install by following the installation steps.
- Start the program so that it begins to correct errors in the msvcp140.dll file and other problems that are related to this file.
These are the different alternatives that exist to solve the error that indicates that The msvcp140.dll file is missing in Windows. By correcting it, you will be able to reinstall the program or you will continue using it without having to reinstall it, just by copying the missing file back to your computer.