The Pendrive, is an electronic device used on a daily basis, it is a must for all those who use computers and laptops. Its speed is one of the most important aggregates at the time of purchase. In this way, we will explain how to know if a Pendrive is 3.0.
Doing a small count, the Pendrive is a portable storage device, comes from the English word pen drive (device-pen), which is connected to the USB port (Universal Serial Bus-Universal Serial Connection) of the computer.
USB ports are the most used in the world, since we can connect all kinds of devices to them.
5 ways to know if the Pendrive is 3.0 or 3.1
Next, we are going to try to give a list or step by step, to be able to identify if the Pendrive you purchased is 3.X.
Identify the color of the USB port
This method is not always 100% reliable, but if you give the user a reference, most manufacturers use a color code, it consists of:
- 2.0 is shown in black.
- 3.0 is shown in blue.
- 3.1 changes color (usually turquoise green).
Number of pins
These pins are what we are going to see inside the USB port, the USB 1.0 and 2.0 Pendrives are characterized by coming with 4 pins.
Unlike USB 3.0 and 3.1 Pendrives, that come with 9 pins.
The “SS” symbol on the USB port
Corresponds to the “SuperSpeed” logo on the USB 3.0 ports, whose function is to warn the user that it is a port with maximum transfer speed 600MB / s.
Device Manager Pc or computer.
If we open the device manager, we will see that it will tell us the protocol of each USB port that we have in the team, to know the capacity of your Pendrive you must:
- Open Windows device manager.
- Once opened, it displays the tab that says “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
- When you open this tab, you can identify how many USB 3.0 ports you have connected, thus verifying their storage capacity, you will see it as “USB composite device “.
Downloading USB Device Tree View
One of the most famous programs to check the version of your Pendrive is the USB Device Tree View and we can install it in all versions of Windows. All we have to do is connect the USB to the computer port and this little program will tell you what type of version it is.
More guides on USB:
Advantages of USB 3.0
- The USB 3.0 Pendrive is the third version Universal Serial Bus (USB), has a theoretical file transmission speed of up to 4.8 Gbit / s or 600MB / s (SuperSpeed USB SS), which is ten times faster than USB 2.0 (480 Mbit / s or 60 MB / s), with a 3.0 pendrive you can transfer your files faster.
- The USB 3.0 device significantly reduces the time required to data transmission as well as energy consumption
- Connectivity: (h3) pendrives 3.0 supports USB ports 2.0, they can be plugged into USB 2.0 ports unlike 2.0 pendrives which cannot be plugged into USB 3.0 ports.
- Better storage quality, Pendrives 3.0 have better capacity storage relative to HD image formats. While in the pendrives 2.0 they are almost non-existent. eg with Pendrive 3.0: a 2GB movie takes about 2-4 mins to load.