One of the options available on the PlayStation 5 for solving the problems that may arise is to reset it to its factory settings. This process is also recommended if the console is to be sold or exchanged. Therefore, so that you can carry it out, this article explains how to reset the PlayStation 5.
How to factory reset your PlayStation 5
When is it going to factory reset your PlayStation 5 You have to be sure that this is the decision that suits you. It must be considered that through this process everything that is saved in the console will be eliminated and it returns it to its original state, as it was when it was installed the first time.
Once you have decided to continue with this process, the steps to be carried out are as follows:
- The first step is to turn on your PlayStation 5, and from the home screen select the option Settings, which you will find in the upper right part of the screen.
- Once you have entered the Settings, you must click on the tab System.
- Next, you have to choose the function Restart options.
- After being there, you will have to press the option Restart your console.
- Finally, it is necessary to click on the button Yes.
This factory reset can take a few minutes to complete after you have started it, however, when everything is complete you will know that your PlayStation 5 will be like new again.
How to reset your PlayStation 5 in safe mode
When your console turns on, but the system software fails to boot, a safe mode reset can be attempted. To do this, you must follow the procedure consisting of the following steps:
- First of all, you have to press The power button until verifying that the console has been turned off.
- After this, the power button should be held down until you can hear a second beep. This generally occurs in a period of about 10 seconds.
- Next, you have to connect a PlayStation 5 controller to the console and click the button .
- Several options available in the menu will be displayed, and from them you must choose the one Reset PS5.
- Finally, we must wait for the console to restart normally.
- In case none of the above methods work, you have the possibility to go to Sony’s PlayStation repair and replacement page and check if your PlayStation 5 is eligible for a free repair.
Before performing any kind of factory reset, it is highly recommended to make a backup of all your data.
To achieve this, you are required to have a PlayStation Plus account in order to upload the data stored in the cloud; however, all your games and any content can be downloaded again to another console without any inconvenience.
In addition to this, you have the option of moving your files to an external hard drive in order to have a backup in case everything else presents some kind of problem.
How to reset a PlayStation 5 in depth
In those cases that you need to restart your PlayStation 5 to solve any type of problems, it is recommended to do it under the methodology described below.
- The first thing to do is start your PlayStation 5 and log into your account. If you are in a game, you can go to the main screen by pressing the button $ located in the center of the DualSense control.
- Then, a gear icon will be displayed in the upper right corner of the main screen, press on it in order to open the menu Settings.
- Once you have entered the menu, you must choose the option of System and after that of System software.
- At this time, you must select Backup and Restore. Through this menu, you will have the possibility to backup games, applications and other data through a USB device before proceeding to restart your console.
- This step is very important for those who are not subscribed to PlayStation Plus, as all files are stored locally on the console.
- Even if you have a PlayStation Plus subscription, it is recommended that you do this step. Not only is it a security feature in case your stored data has not been synced, it also allows for automatic restoration of your games and applications on another PlayStation 5 in the future. To download your data, you will need a USB 3.0 storage device.
- Once your data has been backed up, you have to go back to System Software and select Restart options. The PlayStation 5 features three restart options and, with the exception of the option Restart your console, names tend to be confusing.
- The option Clear machine learning dictionary delete all the terms that you have stored on your PlayStation 5. The console uses the terms that you have entered in order to predict what you might be looking for. With this configuration the terms saved in the console are reset. Stored data, applications, games, or user data will not be affected.
- With option Restore default settings all console settings are restored to their default values. This option does not affect stored data, games, applications or user data.
- By means of the option Restart your console everything on your PlayStation 5 is deleted and completely restarted. Use of this option is suggested only if you intend to sell or trade the console, or if you prefer to start from scratch.
- At this time you must choose the option that best suits your needs. If you prefer to perform a factory reset, you have to select Restart your console. It is constantly recommended to back up your data before proceeding with a factory reset, even if you are subscribed to PlayStation Plus.
Reset a PlayStation 5 that has been frozen or hung
One of the options available for repair a frozen PlayStation 5 or not responding is the Rebuilding of the Database. By means of this option your data is not deleted from the PlayStation 5, but it will help with the solution of the problems improving the operation of the console avoiding the appearance of possible errors such as freezing.
- The first step to forcibly shutting down the PlayStation 5 is to press the power button. Power located in front for a few seconds until you hear a beep.
- In order to restart it, it is necessary to press the power button again and the console will start up normally.
Now, from Safe Mode, the database will be rebuilt. This procedure will not erase your data from PlayStation 5, but it will help in the solution and prevention of errors in the console.
- The first step is to make sure that your TV or monitor does not have a signal from the PlayStation 5 because it must be well turned off.
- Next, you have to go to the PlayStation 5 and hold down the button for a few seconds. Power. You will have to hear a first beep and wait for the second, after that you can release it.
- At this point, a warning will be displayed on the console and you will be in Safe Mode.
- Once the warning has appeared on the console, you must connect the controller via USB to the console and you have to press and hold the button .
- Now, you will have access to the action menu of the PlayStation 5 in safe mode and being there it is necessary that you click on the option Rebuild database.
- After you have pressed that option, you have to choose the function To accept.
- Using this function, the database rebuilding process will start and the console will restart as normal. It should be noted that data will not be deleted from your PlayStation 5.
- After this, your console will reboot and freezing issues on PlayStation 5 will have been resolved.
With this procedure it will be possible to solve when the PlayStation 5 is frozen and hung, thus achieving its restart and repair.
Backing up the PlayStation 5 using an external USB hard drive
The option to backup and restore the PlayStation 5 works with a wide range of USB storage devices. You must make sure you have enough space on your external drive before starting the backup process.
The steps you have to execute to achieve this are the following:
- First of all, you must go to the menu of Setting.
- Next, you must select the tab System.
- After this, choose the option Backup and restore.
- Now you must select the option Make a backup of your PS5.
- At this time you have to connect your hard drive to the PlayStation 5 with a USB cable.
- Now, the data to be backed up is selected. The bar at the bottom right shows the space that the chosen data will occupy on the external drive.
- After this, choose Next and later Backup copy in order to start the process and wait for the data to be copied.
- To avoid data corruption, do not move, unplug, or turn off the console or USB drive while the transfer is active.
With the data backed up, it is possible to disconnect the USB device. You should store it safely in case you need to restore data from the USB drive.
Perform a data restore from backup to PlayStation 5
Next, the steps that are part of the procedure that you must carry out when you need restore data from backup to PlayStation 5:
- The first thing is to connect the USB backup drive to your PlayStation 5 and turn on the console.
- Next, from the home screen you have to select the menu Setting.
- After this the section is chosen System.
- At this moment you click on the option Backup and Restore.
- Once you are in that option you have to choose Restore your PS5.
- Now, it is necessary that you select the data that you prefer to copy from the unit to your PlayStation 5, then you have to follow the instructions that appear on the screen in order to start the transfer.
- You just have to wait until the files have been copied. Do not unplug or turn off your console or USB drive while the transfer is active.
How to save data to the cloud on the PlayStation 5
Although USB backups allow you to create a physical restore point of all the data on your PlayStation 5, PlayStation Plus users also have the ability to back up their games stored in the cloud.
For this you need to have an active subscription to PlayStation Plus and the console will automatically backup your data when the function is enabled. The process to execute this enablement is as follows:
- On your PlayStation 5, you must follow the path Setting> System> Energy saving> Functions available in standby mode and then enable the option “Stay connected to the Internet.”
- Then you have to go back to Setting and follow the route Saved Data and Game Settings / Applications.
- In order to enable cloud backups for PlayStation 5 games, select the path PS5 games> Synchronize saved data and enables Automatic synchronization of saved data.
- Now, to enable cloud backups for PlayStation 4 games installed on your PlayStation 5, you must choose the option PS4 games”And then activate “Automatic loading”.
When you have all the options activated, the stored data from PlayStation 5 will be automatically synchronized between the cloud and your console, therefore, you can always have the most recent data stored in both places. However, the PlayStation 4 data must be manually downloaded to your console from the game’s home screen.
There are several options for reset the PlayStation 5, and the application of each one of them will depend on what is needed and on the reason why the console is reset, whether it is to correct faults or return the equipment to its original state.
You should also be aware of making backup copies when these resets are made, as well as the processes of restoring data saved on USB devices and data storage in the cloud.