The control of the PlayStation 5 is used by the vast majority of users to play on the console and therefore it is normal for everyone to make the necessary adjustments and configurations for that use. However, there are times when the controller begins to have problems and faults, the solution of which requires resetting the controller to its factory settings. In order for you to know the processes necessary to carry it out, this article explains how to reset the PlayStation 5 controller.
Factory reset a PlayStation 5 controller
For reset a PlayStation 5 controller to factory settings, it is necessary to carry out the procedure:
- Unplug the controller from your PlayStation 5 and turn off the console.
- Next, you have to locate a small hole on the back of the DualSense remote.
- Once you’ve located the opening, you should insert a pointed object into it, such as a pin or straightened paper clip, and hold down the button inside for about five seconds.
- You will be able to see that at the top of the screen you will be shown a message notifying that the remote control has been disconnected.
- At this point, you need to sync the controller with the console again.
- Finally, connect the controller to the PlayStation 5 with the included USB-C cable and then press the button $ until the light has turned from orange to blue.
- Finally, you will be able to see on the screen that the remote has been connected again.
In this way, you will have concluded the process of resetting the remote in order to erase all the settings and configurations and you will also have connected it again.
Why a PlayStation 5 controller needs to be rebooted
Some of the main reasons PlayStation 5 users want to reset the DualSense controller are listed below:
- When there are synchronization problems between the DualSense controller and the PlayStation 5 console.
- If Bluetooth connectivity is not working, making wireless playback impossible.
- In cases where you want to synchronize the DualSense remote with another device.
How to soft reset the PlayStation 5 controller
If you have two controls, it is possible to use one of them to turn off the other control or by turning off the console you can turn off the control. This process of turning the controller on and off is also known as a soft reset, and sometimes it is useful in solving connection problems.
To do this, the procedure must be followed:
- First of all, you have to disconnect the remote that you want to turn off from the console.
- Then, using the remote, you must press on the button $ in order to go to the home screen and then press the button $ again to open the Control Center menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, you have to choose the option Accessories, with the remote control icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Once inside that option, it is necessary that you select the command that you are going to turn off.
- Finally, select the function To turn off and the LED light on the controller should turn off.
If connection problems continue
Other possible solutions you can try if resetting the controller has not resolved the problem include the following:
- The first thing is to connect the controller with a different USB-C cable.
- Make sure that no objects are placed between the control and the console that could cause interference with the Bluetooth controller.
- You must update the system firmware, following the path Setting > System > System software > System software update and configuration > Update system software.
- Go to the repair page and Sony PlayStation replacement to see if it can be repaired.
How to fix common PlayStation 5 controller problems
One of the most common problems affecting the DualSense controller is joystick drifting, and some users have reported other issues in addition to this, even with its internal battery. Some of the most common that can occur and their possible solutions are discussed below. Although there is no one-size-fits-all, these methods have been shown to work in some cases.
How to fix PlayStation 5 controller drifting
DualSense drifting is often caused by general wear and tear on your controller.. Its levers are soldered to the main controller board and also connect to potentiometers that detect movement. Since the knob is used frequently, friction can wear them out.
This problem is not very easy to solve because the best way to do it would be to disassemble the entire remote and replace the faulty parts, but not everyone has the tools to do this job.
However, joystick wear may not be the only reason why the joysticks drift. It should be tested whether a simple cleaning can solve this problem. The steps to do so are as follows:
- The first thing is to move the thumb levers so that they are pushed to the side.
- Next, clean up any visible dust or debris with a cotton swab and a little rubbing alcohol.
- Now, with the thumb levers still pushed to the side and the alcohol completely dry, you can either blow or use a can of compressed air, going all the way around the circumference.
- You shouldn’t put the compressed air directly against the thumb rods and don’t tip the can of compressed air sideways. It should be held up as if sitting on a surface. If the can is tilted, you run the risk of supplying moisture to the controller.
What to do if your PlayStation 5 controller won’t hold a charge
If your DualSense controller is not charging, chances are you are requiring a new battery. It is not very intuitive to make this change as it is not designed to be replaced, but it can be done.
The DualSense controller includes a 1,560 mAh battery, so it is recommended to change for one that is similar. The instructions to make the replacement are as follows:
- Initially, using tools to open objects with a flat edge, lift up the black panel on the front of the controller. Once it’s loose enough, it should come off.
- Next, using another thin object, you must remove the right and left bumpers (L1 and R1).
- Now, unscrew the four screws that are located under the bumpers on each side and at the bottom of the grips, where the black faceplate was removed.
- Using your opening tool or flat edge now separate the shell at the seams.
- It is time to press the two clips that hold the case (next to the 3.5 mm connector), located at the bottom of the remote.
- Lastly, you have to very carefully remove the battery and replace it.
What to do if your PlayStation 5 controller won’t charge at all
In the event that the controller is not charging at all, it could be a faulty charging cable or a damaged USB-C port. The procedure to try is as follows:
- You should first test the USB-C cable with another device to make sure it is working well.
- If it is working, you have to try to clean the port of dust by blowing it.
- Next, connect the cable to your DualSense controller and make sure the connection is firm and secure.
- Finally, shine a flashlight on the charging port to verify that it is not broken.
How to connect the PlayStation 5 controller to another device
When you are playing with the PlayStation 5 console, it is usually done through the DualSense control, since it is the most comfortable and practical way to do it. However, an advantage that it offers you This command is that in addition to being useful to play from the console, there is the possibility that you can connect it to your computer or your mobile phone to be able to play on these devices.
Here are the procedures to install it on both computers and Android and iOS devices.
How to connect the controller for PlayStation 5 to the computer
In this specific case, the connection of the remote control to the computer can be done by means of a USB cable or wirelessly through Bluetooth:
In order to connect your DualSense to the computer by cable, you need a USB-C that has a standard USB-A output. The console contains a unit in the pack, so in principle you should not have major problems, but the controls that are sold separately do not include it in the box.
- Once you have the cable in your hands, you just have to connect the USB-C to the controller and the USB-A output to the computer.
- In this way the computer will detect it and thus you can play your games with the DualSense controller.
In this case, you will need to have Bluetooth technology on the computer (or connect an adapter).
- First, enter the menu Bluetooth and other device settings.
- Then click on Add Bluetooth and other devices. The computer will start searching for devices that are compatible.
- Now, you have to press the button $ and Compartir (located to the right of the touchpad) at the same time until you see a small light.
- At this time, the computer will detect a wireless controller. You have to click and you are good to go.
How to connect the controller for PlayStation 5 to Android devices
- The first thing you have to do is make sure your PlayStation 5 console is turned off.
- Then press the button $ and the button Compartir at the same time. When the touch panel begins to show blue lights, it indicates that it is already searching for the devices.
- Finally, on the mobile, activate Bluetooth and the device will soon appear on the screen Wireless Controller. Click on it and you can now use the DualSense remote on an Android mobile.
How to connect the PlayStation 5 controller to iOS devices
- The first step is to verify that the PlayStation 5 console is completely turned off.
- Now, you need to press the buttons PlayStation and Compartir simultaneously. This will cause the touch panel to start displaying blue lights that signal for a new device.
- Finally, from your iPhone or iPad, you will see that the new device is displayed Wireless Controller from PlayStation. You just have to click and you will see that the DualSense has been paired with your iOS mobile.
There are several ways to reset the PlayStation 5 controller, according to the available resources and the needs of each user; all the options are made up of very simple steps to execute.
It’s easy to fix the most common faults experienced in controls, as well as their possible causes and the most common ways to fix them. In addition, there are several methods to connect this DualSense remote to other devices.