- 1 Put credit card on PlayStation 5
- 2 Remove credit card from PlayStation 5
- 3 If the credit card cannot be linked
- 3.1 Check if the PlayStation Network servers
- 3.2 Check if the card type is accepted by PlayStation Store
- 3.3 Check if the card has the updated data and they are correct
- 3.4 Make sure your data does not contain special characters
- 3.5 Verify that your credit card is not from a different region than the PlayStation Store
- 3.6 Check AVS compatibility
- 3.7 Turn off the PlayStation 5 and restart in safe mode
- 3.8 Contact Sony Support
- 3.9 Contact the credit card provider
- 4 Buy games on PlayStation 5 without a credit card
- 5 Conclusions
In order to be able to purchase games and other content on the PlayStation Network, it is necessary to previously register some type of payment method accepted by the PlayStation Store on the console, as well as knowing how to unlink it. To help you with this, this guide describes how to put or remove credit card on PlayStation 5.
Put credit card on PlayStation 5
This is an activity that you can perform both from the PlayStation Store website and from the PlayStation 5. The steps required to execute in both processes are described below.
From the website
To set up a credit card on the PlayStation 5 from the website of the PlayStation Store, the steps you must follow are as follows.
- The first thing you have to do is access the website of the PlayStation Store.
- Once you are inside the website, you must click on the icon of the three lateral dots and click on the option Plus.
- Next, it is necessary that you choose in the menu that has been displayed the option of Payment methods.
- Right now, the next step you need to do is click on the function Credit or debit card.
- After this, you need to record the credit card number and other information necessary for billing, such as the name of the card owner, the expiration date of the card and the security code.
- From now on, you will have the possibility to view your registered credit card.
From the PlayStation 5
The procedure needed to register a credit card on the PlayStation 5 consists of the steps listed below:
- The first step is to make sure your PlayStation 5 is turned on and properly connected to your television.
- With the DualSense remote, you must go to the upper right and then select Setting on the gear icon at the top right of your PlayStation 5 home screen.
- When you are inside the configuration menu, you must go to the tab Users and accounts.
- In this tab, you have to choose, first of all, the option Bill and then that of Payment and subscriptions.
- Finally, you have to click on the option Payment methods and enter all your credit card information and set your default payment method.
Remove credit card from PlayStation 5
In the same way, the process of removing the credit card from the PlayStation 5 can also be carried out from the PlayStation 5 and from the website of the PlayStation Store. The steps in each of the processes are explained below:
From the website
If you need unlink your credit card from the PlayStation 5, through the website of the PlayStation Store, you must perform the following steps.
- The first thing you should do is go to the PlayStation Store in your browser.
- Next, select the Login option at the top of the screen in order to enter your data.
- Once the session has started, you have to click on your online ID, the icon of your profile next to My PlayStation and select the option Payment management.
- At that time, you will be able to view all the cards in your account through the menu Payment management and, when you click on any of them, the option will appear Delete it.
From the PlayStation 5
The procedure for remove your credit card from the PlayStation 5 requires you to execute each of the instructions listed below:
- Deleting the credit card and billing information is similar to adding it.
- First of all, you have to go to the menu of the Setting.
- Once inside the menu you have to select the section Users and accounts.
- The next step is to choose the function Bill and, at the bottom, look for the option Payment and subscriptions.
- Next, you must click on the option Payment methods, and all available payment methods that have been linked to the account will be displayed.
- At that point, you can choose which of the pre-existing credit cards you want to remove.
- After removing that credit card from your account, you won’t be able to use it again until you decide to add it back to your payment methods.
In the event that the PlayStation 5 does not allow you to link your credit card, there are multiple reasons that may be causing this inconvenience, therefore, it is important that you know them, as well as what are the solutions that can be try in order to correct the problem.
Check if the PlayStation Network servers
In the event that PlayStation Network is experiencing problems, there is a possibility that your payment information may not be recorded. You have to enter the PSN status page and you have to wait until all services are accompanied by a green light before entering your payment information again.
Check if the card type is accepted by PlayStation Store
First of all, you have to be sure that the credit card you are using is Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or debit cards that have the official logo of Visa or MasterCard. These are the only types of cards accepted on the PlayStation Store.
Because there are certain payment methods that cannot be used, you have to consult the accepted payment methods page so you can check if the type of credit card you are using is compatible with the PlayStation Store.
Check if the card has the updated data and they are correct
It is necessary that you enter your information exactly as it appears in your bank account statements.
To review your account payment details, go to Account Management on the website and select the payment card you are entering.
Make sure your data does not contain special characters
In case you use some special characters to write your name, address or department number, you should try to replace them with the closest letter of the Latin alphabet. You should not use characters that are not letters, such as asterisks, slashes or hyphens, among others.
If you live on a street that is usually shortened to Rd. Or Dr., try to spell the whole word. PlayStation Network is too strict about this, so even if you don’t normally have to type in apartment numbers or specific addresses, you may have to in this case.
Verify that your credit card is not from a different region than the PlayStation Store
If the situation arises that your credit or debit card appears registered with the address of a country other than your PlayStation Store region, it is very possible that they cannot be linked. The best practice is to use a credit card that is registered in the same zone as your PlayStation Store region.
If you can’t use a card that is from the same country as your PlayStation Store region, you can try to make your purchases from PlayStation Store using an alternate payment method or a charging code for the PlayStation Store wallet.
Check AVS compatibility
Your credit or debit card must also support the address verification system. This system is a way to verify the address of the person who is using the credit card.
The billing address you have provided must match your credit card provider registered linked to it. Cards that are not AVS compatible may not be accepted on the PlayStation Store, so you will need to call your card issuer to verify if yours does.
Turn off the PlayStation 5 and restart in safe mode
A method that often works to solve various types of problems on the PlayStation 5 is to turn off and on your console to restart it in safe mode. To carry it out, you have to follow each of the steps that are explained below:
- First of all, you need to completely turn off your console.
- Then you should press and hold the power button until two beeps are heard, the first when pressed and the other, several seconds later.
- Next, you need to connect your DualSense controller to PlayStation via a USB cable.
- After this, press on the PlayStation button on your controller in order to turn on the console and access the Safe Mode.
- At this time, you must select Restart PS5, which is generally the first option on the list.
- With this process the system should restart normally and you will not have to worry about the loss of data or saved settings.
Contact Sony Support
If you are sure that you have entered everything correctly and you still receive the message with the expression Invalid credit card information, you should contact the technical service from Sony.
You can try all the ways to communicate with them, from live support chats to their official Twitter support account. Generally speaking, Sony has a good experience when it comes to the Customer SupportSo not only should you be able to get in touch with someone easily, but in most cases, you will be able to find a solution to your problem.
Contact the credit card provider
If none of these ways solves the problem, you need to contact the bank or the credit card provider in order to confirm that the payment method has been activated, that the funds are available and that it is not blocked. Make sure you have all the safety information at hand when you request help from customer service.
Buy games on PlayStation 5 without a credit card
If you do not have a valid credit or debit card that you can use in the PlayStation Store in your region, in addition to the PayPal payment platform, your only option will be to purchase recharge codes from the PlayStation Store wallet. These cards are often available in retail stores and on e-commerce platforms.
If you choose to buy in a store you will get a physical card, and there will be a code within which you must enter through from the PlayStation Store website using the process described below:
- The first thing is that you must click on your avatar that is at the top of the screen and select the option Redeem codes in the menu that will be displayed.
- Next, you have to enter the code in the determined area and click on Exchange.
- The credit will be applied to your account by pressing Exchange.
Another option you have is to redeem your codes through your PlayStation 5.
- The first thing you have to do is start the PlayStation 5 and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the main menu.
- Once you are in the Settings menu, you need to click on the tab Users and accounts.
- At this time, you must select the function Bill and then you have to click Payment and subscriptions.
- Finally, you need to choose Redeem codes and enter your code before clicking Exchange.
Delivery speed is almost instantaneous for PSN cards when purchased online unless otherwise stated by the provider. This is because the recharge code instead of receiving it by delivery. These codes will not be different from the ones you would get in a store, which means that the redemption process will be the same.
Options put and remove credit card on PlayStation 5 They are available from the console itself or from the PlayStation Store website. In both cases with little complexity procedures to carry them out.
In addition to this, the most frequent causes of errors in linking the card with the PlayStation 5 are identifiable, as well as the ways to solve the problem. However, there are alternatives to making game purchases without a credit card.