- 1 How to listen to music on PlayStation 5?
- 2 Control music playback from the command center
- 3 Play on PlayStation 5 and manage Spotify music from mobile
- 4 Turn off game music on PlayStation 5
- 5 Launch PlayStation with the Spotify app on another device
- 6 Watch YouTube videos while playing on PlayStation 5
PlayStation 5 like its predecessor, the PS4, have the ability to play Spotify music while it is playing, this being one of its best features. Although in many occasions it is necessary to listen to the audio of the game, since it is part of the experience, making it more immersive.
At other times the audio is not so important, and you may prefer to play while listening to your favorite music. You have the option of listening to music from any other device while you are playing the game, but by doing it from the PS5, you can have more control. To know how to listen to music on PlayStation 5 while playing games, read how to do it below.
How to listen to music on PlayStation 5?
For listen to music while you are playing, The first step is to download Spotify, this being a process that is done very quickly and easily, for which you have to follow these steps:
- Enter the Multimedia Content menu, and when you are there go to the All Applications option.
- Then select Spotify to start the download.
When the application has downloaded, log in with your account information.
- When the application opens, you will be able to link your Spotify account with your PlayStation 5.
Then you must carry out the next step, which is the one that will allow you listen to Spotify music while playing games on your PlayStation 5:
- When you are in the game, press the PS button.
- Enter the Control Center and select the Music option.
- Then you just have to select the playlist, podcast or song you want to listen to.
- Press the PS button again to restart the game.
Control music playback from the command center
Sony and Spotify jointly developed a very simple way to control music playback while it is playing. There are two ways to do this:
- In the first way, you must open the Control Center, pressing the PS button on your DualSense controller. It is not the Media Remotem, in case you have one, since you are not going to use it to play.
- If the music is already playing, the Spotify card should appear first on the card in the lineup, while the other cards are the ones related to whatever games you have installed. From now on you can press the Square button on the controller to pause the music. Pressing again will resume playback.
- The other option you have is to click on the card that has the icon of a Cross, from where you will be able to access all the media playback controls. Among these controls are the option to pause, play, fast forward, rewind, adjust music volume, repeat, shuffle options, and save your favorite songs.
Play on PlayStation 5 and manage Spotify music from mobile
It also can play Spotify music on the PlayStation 5 by managing the playback from the mobile. In order to do this, you must first set up Spotify Connect. After you do this, the playback controls will appear on your mobile, taking into account that the Spotify application must also be installed on the mobile.
Turn off game music on PlayStation 5
This option is not supported by all games, but in case you don’t want to have any kind of distraction when you are playing games and listening to Spotify music, you can disable or turn off the original music of the game.
The only drawback that this option presents is that at the moment there is no definitive list of games that are compatible. So you just have to verify that the option is available when you are playing. In the event that the game supports this feature, the original music will automatically stop playing in the game, or you will also have the option to manage it. Many games do not support this, so you may need to listen to both music streams at the same time.
Launch PlayStation with the Spotify app on another device
Your console PlayStation can be operated remotely, applying different options, and it can even be done through Spotify, even if it is installed on another device. To do this you must configure Spotify Connect, and also install the Spotify application on another device. To finish you must start the Spotify application on PlayStation 5 and go to the settings menu of this application.
There you will find the option to play from the console with the Spotify application on a different device. Tap on it and slide on the control to enable the function. You should bear in mind that this option will only work if the console is in sleep mode. It does not work when it is completely off. This way you can enjoy Spotify while you are playing your favorite games.
Set up the PlayStation controller to play Spotify music
The steps to configure the PlayStation 5 controller to play music from Spotify it is not a complicated task. You just need to have a compatible USB cable and have the application installed on your computer, something you must have done before. Then perform the following steps:
- Connect the console controller to the computer, using the USB cable, and wait for the drivers to be installed.
- When everything is installed, click on the speaker icon, which is in the lower right corner of Windows.
- Once there, you can configure the PS5’s wireless controller, either Speaker or the computer’s default audio output.
- Open the Control Panel and go to the Sound tab, clicking on the current audio output and select the Properties button, entering Enhancements, and then Speaker Fill and finally click on Apply.
- The last step is to Restart the Spotify application, so that in this way the haptic playback begins, which allows the sound produced by the haptic engines to be heard, especially if you bring them close to your ears.
- If you really want to listen to the music and not just feel it haptically, you just have to connect a pair of headphones to the 3.5 mm connector of the DualSense, in order to have a better sound experience.
Watch YouTube videos while playing on PlayStation 5
With this option you can do both actions on the same screen, this way it is much easier to see the tutorials without leaving or pausing the game you are playing. The way to view YouTube videos on the PlayStation 5 is as follows:
- The first step you must do is create an alternative account on your console, or you also have the option of asking a friend for help, in order to send you the link to the main YouTube page by means of a message.
- Verify that the link they send you through a direct message is actually from the platform’s home page, and not the address of a specific video, since otherwise this step will not work.
- When you open the window, you must enter the YouTube link that has been sent to you.
- Once you have chosen the video you want to see, it will appear on the main screen, and you must click on the DualSense Options button.
- Now a menu will be displayed showing several options for the video that is being played, among which you can find Set aside.
- When you select this option, you will see how the size of the YouTube display decreases, and that it will be placed on the right side of the main screen, simulating the shape of a mobile.
- Now go back to the screen from where you opened the link, and you only have to return to the game that is in your game, while at the same time the YouTube video continues to play.
This is a tool that can be very useful if you are used to consulting the guides of some role-playing games or action and adventure games. It is also useful if you want watch an event being streamed on YouTube while you are playing the game, or whenever you want listen to a song in particular. Although keep in mind that you have the option of listening to music with more specialized applications, such as Spotify.
If you do not want continue listening to the music from the PlayStation 5 menu, it’s very easy to disable:
- On the main screen of the PlayStation 5, select the Settings option, which is in the upper right, on the gear icon.
- Select the Sound option.
- Then select the Audio Out option, which is on the left side.
- Now you must scroll to the General section and there deactivate the Music switch on the home screen.
In this way the Music from the PlayStation 5 menu should now be disabled. Keep in mind that this action will also deactivate any music that is played when you hover over the games on the screen, but it will not deactivate the sound effects that are produced in the menu.
You can too turn off sound effects in a direct way, by pressing the music switch on the home screen, which is found in the same menu, in case you want to have a better browsing experience on the PlayStation 5, totally in silence.
Play music from Spotify while playing games, It is one of the best features that Sony has incorporated into their consoles, even on the PS5, in addition to having a better interface, which has a renewed design. Sony added these types of functions, which are designed to make the console experience more practical and simple for gamers, while they can enjoy a good game. They have even incorporated the function of playing a YouTube video at the same time that you play a game.