- 1 Safe mode on PlayStation 5
- 2 Enter safe mode on PlayStation 5
- 3 Safe mode options on PlayStation 5
- 4 Reinstall the PlayStation 5 system software in Safe Mode
- 5 Update PS5 system software in safe mode
- 6 Exit Safe Mode on PlayStation 5
- 7 Problems starting safe mode on the PlayStation 5 console
Safe Mode is a feature that allows the PlayStation 5 to be powered on only with the basic functions that are available on the console. With this option, you can access all those functions that facilitate safe changes to the console, especially when it is necessary to solve different types of problems that may arise. This option is similar to that found on computers and mobile phones. Due to the usefulness of this feature, it is important to know how to enter and exit safe mode on PlayStation 5.
Safe mode on PlayStation 5
Safe mode is a feature that makes it possible start the PlayStation console, only with the most basic functions activated. The options found in safe mode are specially designed to solve some of the most common problems that can occur on the console. Some of these problems can be originated in the console storage database, in the resolution or problems that lead to resetting the console to factory settings.
It should be noted that some of these options can cause data to be lost. For this reason, it is recommended that before executing any action, you take the precaution of back up to a USB drive or that you store the information in the cloud, before you select some of the actions.
In safe mode you can have different alternatives, such as rebuilding the database or updating the PlayStation 5. When you select update, the latest software is installed, but from a mode that allows them to be resolve the errors that are presented in the console such as freezing or various malfunctions. If after restarting the PlayStation 5 the errors cannot be resolved, it is recommended to try updating the system software in safe mode.
Enter safe mode on PlayStation 5
To enter safe mode on the console, these are the steps to follow:
- First turn off your PlayStation 5 completely.
- Once the console is off, press the power button on the console, and hold it down until you hear a first beep. Then wait at least 10 seconds, until you hear a second beep, and then release the button.
- Now connect the PlayStation 5 controller using a USB cable and click on the PlayStation button on the DualSense.
With all these steps, already the console must have been started in Safe Mode. Being in this mode is necessary to be able to reset the PlayStation 5 to its factory version.
Safe mode options on PlayStation 5
When you have entered the safe mode of the PlayStation 5, you will see a completely black screen, with the following options in white:
- Restart PS5: This terminates the safe mode and restarts the console normally.
- Change video output – Change screen resolution: This option can be useful for troubleshooting some problems that cause, for example, blank screens.
- Update system software: You can update the system software using a direct download or a USB storage device.
- Restore default settings: Allows you to reset the PS5 console to factory default settings. This option does not delete the content of the console storage, such as games, applications, screenshots, video clips or saved data, among other information.
- Clear cache and Rebuild database: The Clear Cache option is used in the event of system crashes or some issues that are related to performance. Whereas if you select Rebuild database, it is possible to explore the unit and be able to create a new database with all the necessary system content. This option is very useful if you are having problems with the system functions, or also with a game icon that remains in Start after having eliminated it.
- Reset PS5: This option removes all user data and restores the console to its original state.
- Reset PS5 (reinstall system software): Delete both user data as well as software from the PlayStation 5 system.
Whenever you want set the console back to its factory version, you should choose the option to Reset PS5. Before executing this alternative, you must try all the other options, and if the problem you have on your console is not solved, then you must make this decision.
Reinstall the PlayStation 5 system software in Safe Mode
In the event that a fatal error on PlayStation 5 console, and therefore you must restart the factory system, it is not necessary to send the console to technical service, leaving several weeks without being able to play. Sony allows a system reboot using the PS5 safe mode option quickly and easily.
For reset the console to safe mode, You only need to have a USB memory and follow these steps:
- On your computer, create a folder that has the name of PS5, inside the USB memory that has FAT32 format.
- Inside that folder, recreate another folder, named Update.
- Then go to the PS5 console software update page, and then go to the Reinstall system software section. There you must go to Download the file and then save it as PS5UPDATE.PUP, inside the Update folder.
- Then you need to connect the USB drive to the PlayStation 5 console.
- Now start the console in safe mode, as above.
- Once inside the safe mode menu, you must select the option to Reinstall system software.
- Then select Update from USB memory and click OK.
If you did each of these steps, already the console must have been restarted, after waiting a few minutes. If any of the steps in the process have failed, take into account details, such as that the writing is in capital letters. Otherwise the system will not recognize the file on the USB memory.
Update PS5 system software in safe mode
For update the system software to the latest version, this is the process to follow:
- The first thing to do is to have the screen without a signal from the PlayStation 5, it must be well turned off and correctly connected to the electrical power.
- On the PS5 console you must do the process of pressing the Power button for a few seconds. When you hear the two beeps, release the button.
- Then you must connect the USB C controller to the console, holding down the PS button.
- From the console control you can press the PS button for just a few seconds, in order to be able to connect it to the PlayStation 5.
- In this way you will already have access to the actions menu of the console in safe mode. Here select the option Update system software.
- Now you must click on the option Update from the Internet.
- In order to start the process, you must click the Update option.
- The download process will begin, as will the installation of the new version of the console software.
- As soon as this process is finished, the PlayStation will start normally and you will be able to access it without problems.
This is the way in which you can update the software of the PlayStation 5 system, using the Safe Mode and thus the updates of the PS5 can be done in a safe way.
Exit Safe Mode on PlayStation 5
When you finish making changes in safe mode and want to exit, you must do the following:
- The easiest way to get out of safe mode is by pressing the Power button.
- The second option you have to exit safe mode, if the first option does not work for you, is to click on Rebuild Database.
Problems starting safe mode on the PlayStation 5 console
In case that you can’t start the console PlayStation 5 in safe mode, You can try to fix it as follows:
Check USB ports and cables
Verify that USB ports, HDMI and power cables are working properly, since any of them may be failing. You should try to change the cables, use a different port, or try connecting the cables to another device in different outlets, or testing each port and each cable, in order to identify the source of the problem.
Turn the PlayStation console on and off
If you have already verified that all the cables are working correctly, the next step is to power cycle the system, to try to solve the problem:
- You must hold down the power button to be able to turn off the PlayStation.
- Wait a few seconds for the power light to stop flashing, and then remove the power cord. You should let the system rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Then reconnect the system and try again to start safe mode.
Use the Fix and Replace diagnostic tool
If you still haven’t been able to enter safe mode with either of the above two methods, you can use the Fix and Replace diagnostic tool, which is available in the PlayStation 5 website, where you can get the instructions to request that the console be repaired.
These are the steps you must take to enter and exit safe mode on the PlayStation 5, they are easy to follow and are done in a short time. You must bear in mind that there is always the risk of losing information and that the problem is not solved, so you will have to resort to technical service.