- 1 what is spam
- 2 How to block spam on WhatsApp
- 3 How to remove spam on WhatsApp
- 4 How to block and remove spam from a WhatsApp group
- 5 What to do to avoid WhatsApp spam
- 5.1 Watch for grammar and spelling errors in messages
- 5.2 Analyze if the message seems to be too good to be true
- 5.3 Avoid messages that ask to click a link or share personal information
- 5.4 Avoid getting into WhatsApp groups without your permission
- 5.5 Notify when you identify spam
- 5.6 Be suspicious of frequently forwarded messages
- 5.7 Be alert to messages from unrecognized numbers
- 6 Conclution
WhatsApp is one of the messaging applications most popular in the world. It provides end-to-end encryption for private messages. However, this does not keep you safe from spam messages being sent within the app.
If you receive many messages from unknown contacts or with unwanted content, you must use some method to delete them and prevent that number from sending you messages. For all this, it is very important that you know how to block and remove spam on whatsapp.
what is spam
In general, the definition of spam encompasses all those spam messages which are sent mainly electronically. Their delivery is made without having been requested by the recipient, and in most cases, they are for advertising.
There are various types of spam, such as email spam or social media spam. It can be used to monitor the user or steal their personal information. It is even possible to make use of the recipient’s computer in order to launch computer attacks and send spam messages without the user’s knowledge.
Specific, whatsapp spam is an expression used to describe a wide variety of computer threats and scams that are associated with the messaging application. In addition, there are plenty of scams hiding in deceptive messages and warnings that aim to lure users into connecting to unsecured links, signing up for dubious websites, entering private information, or directly introducing malware to their device.
How to block spam on WhatsApp
Once you have received an unwanted message, you have to report and block on whatsapp to that contact to continue sending you messages. This is done with the same procedure, which you can do on both iOS, Android, or WhatsApp Web, with slight differences depending on the system.
How to block spam on Android WhatsApp
If you are using the app on an Android phone, the process for block and report spam on whatsapp is as explained below:
- Initially, you have to click on the three-dot icon located in the upper right corner within the conversation that you want to report and block. In this way you will have access to the options and then you must press More.
- If you want to report, you are interested in clicking on the Report option. A prompt will then be displayed asking if you want to report that sender. They will inform you that the last five messages from this contact will be forwarded to WhatsApp and that it will not have any information about this.
- If you only use the Block option, what you will be achieving is preventing that sender from continuing to send you messages, but no complaint will reach WhatsApp.
How to block spam on iOS WhatsApp
In the case of devices with iOS system, the steps to follow to report and block a spam message on WhatsApp are as listed below:
- First of all, you have to enter the conversation that you are interested in reporting. Then, click on the upper part of the screen, which is where you will have access to the profile of the person or company that is sending you the message.
- Next, you need to scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will find several sections. You have to choose the one that says Report and block. When it is reported, a report is sent to WhatsApp so that it considers the sender as responsible for sending spam and for this the company has the possibility of reading the last five messages.
- Through the Block function, what you are achieving is preventing that sender from continuing to send you more unwanted messages. If you prefer to only report that person or company, you can select the Report option.
How to block spam on WhatsApp Web
To block spam in whatsapp web appit is necessary to execute the following steps:
- First, you must go to WhatsApp Web in the browser of your choice.
- Once you have entered, open any conversation and click on the name in order to display the complete information of that contact.
- At this point, you have to scroll down and hit the Report option.
- Finally, activate verification in the Block contact and delete chat box. After that, you need to select Report.
It is appropriate to mention that when you report or block WhatsApp contacts for having sent you spam, they will no longer be able to send you any message or establish contact with you through a voice or video call.
How to unblock a contact that you have blocked for spam in WhatsApp
It might interest you unblock a contact you blocked for spam on WhatsApp, which you can do as long as he hasn’t blocked you. This action, in addition to allowing you to receive messages and calls from him, you can also see your status updates.
To carry out this process, it is necessary to carry out the steps indicated below:
- The first step is, within the WhatsApp application, click on the three-point icon and choose the Settings option.
- Once inside the Settings option, click on the Privacy section.
- Now, scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see the Blocked Contacts option.
- Finally, select the number of the contact you want to unblock and tap the Unblock option.
How to remove spam on WhatsApp
Knowing the procedures for blocking and reporting the sender, you can proceed with the delete spam messages on whatsapp. In this way, you will not have them in your backup copies in Google Drive or iCloud, since you will have deleted them from your chats.
How to remove spam on WhatsApp for Android
The process for delete spam messages on whatsapp on Android, it consists of executing the following steps:
- The first step is to open WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- Subsequently, you must go to the chat screen and hold said spam conversation.
- Now, you have to tap on the trash icon that is located at the top of your screen.
- Then click the checkbox to delete all media received by that contact. From this moment your gallery will be completely clean and finally you have to click on the Delete option.
How to remove spam on WhatsApp for iOS
The steps that have to be carried out in order to delete spam messages on whatsapp on iOS, they are as follows:
- Initially, you have to open WhatsApp on your iPhone device.
- Next, you must swipe to the left on the message that you are interested in deleting.
- Once inside the message, you have to choose the option that says More.
- At this time, it is necessary to click on the Delete Chat option.
- Now, you must choose to delete chat in order to confirm your decision.
- If you need, you have to repeat these steps to delete all WhatsApp spam conversations you have on your iPhone.
How to remove spam on WhatsApp Web
The spam removal on whatsapp webrequires the execution of the steps listed below:
- The first thing to do is open the WhatsApp web app on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Then choose the conversation and click the down arrow icon. It is located at the top next to the name of the contact.
- At this time you must click on the Delete Chat option.
- To finish, you must select the Continue function, in order to confirm this action.
Through these procedures you will be able to eliminate any unwanted message regardless of the operating system used. In addition, you can also perform this action in the WhatsApp Web version.
How to block and remove spam from a WhatsApp group
The steps you have to take to report a WhatsApp group you are sending spam messagesare the following:
- The first thing you have to do is open the WhatsApp app that you already have installed on your mobile device.
- When you have entered the messaging application, you must click on the name of the group that you are interested in reporting.
- Once the group is open, you will need to click on the three small vertical dots that appear at the top right of the screen.
- Now, a menu containing various options will be displayed, press the option where More is indicated.
- Next, new options will be shown, you have to click on the first option that says Report.
- If you also want to leave the group and delete the chat, you will have to select the option that says Leave the group and report it as spam. To confirm the report, you need to press Report and block.
When you have completed the process to make the corresponding complaint, WhatsApp will proceed to review the last 5 messages that have been sent in the group. In case it is verified that the complaint is valid, then WhatsApp will close the group and apply sanctions to the members of the group who are deserving of them.
What to do to avoid WhatsApp spam
Thanks to the large number of WhatsApp users, who are daily victims of spam, it is important to know some signs that must be taken into account in order to determine if a certain message is spam or not.
Within this series of signals, the following can be indicated:
- The writing of the messages is very deficient in grammar and spelling.
- When the messages are sent through a totally unknown contact.
- If you receive messages sent directly from WhatsApp, since this messaging service does not usually carry out this practice.
- Messages where they insist that you click on a certain link or press a specific button.
- When someone is requesting your personal data or payment information.
Because it is important to stay within social networks, you should not delete whatsapp. Therefore, you will always be at risk of being a target for malicious people. However, by being aware of these types of scams, you will be able to avoid getting caught and thus keep your phone and money safe.
All the aspects mentioned above are signs that it is a possible scam. To avoid falling into this type of situation, you should follow these recommendations:
Watch for grammar and spelling errors in messages
One of the easiest ways to tell if it is a scam or a legitimate offer is by paying attention to grammar and spelling. Generally, a real offer goes through strict editing and marketing processes before it is launched.
On the other hand, if the message received misuses words, has punctuation that is not necessary, or if the message comes from a known contact, but with a different writing style from previous messages, there is a high probability that it will be try a spam message.
Analyze if the message seems to be too good to be true
Another aspect to consider is whether the message looks too good to be true. Spams are made to appear so good that it is very difficult for us to let them pass. For example, it is recommended that you do not accept messages that offer an amount of money or a gift card and also ask you to share this information with other companies.
Another type of messages that you should not accept are those where they ask you click on a link or share some type of personal informationsuch as the date of birth, your bank details or the number of your credit card.
Even messages that include seemingly harmless questions should be cause for alarm, because this data is often used in your security questions, and could be used to crack a password for one of your online accounts. Also, it is suggested that you do not download unknown files sent as attachments, especially if you are not expecting one.
Avoid getting into WhatsApp groups without your permission
One of the ways to reduce the risk of receiving spam messages is to use the WhatsApp function that allows you to limit that you can be included in a group without your authorization. To do this, you must perform the following steps:
- Within the messaging app you must look for the Settings option on the icon with the three points.
- Next, select the Privacy option.
- Once you are in this option, choose the Groups option.
- The options that you will have available are Everyone, My contacts or My contacts, except. In case you want to limit everyone, you will have to choose My contacts, except. Then you must select all your contacts.
Notify when you identify spam
Once you have received a message from an unknown number and you make sure that it is spam, you will have the possibility to report that number directly from the app. Similarly, if you receive spam from a contact, you have to delete it, without clicking any links or providing any personal information.
It is advisable to notify your contact that their message contains spam. Many times, the user has not realized this, and it is all because someone has hacked their account. You must inform him, since he will surely have to modify his password.
Be suspicious of frequently forwarded messages
Most of the WhatsApp users are aware of the feature that allows you to forward messages received from one person directly to another recipient.
However, it is not so well known among the users that WhatsApp has a separate indicator for the frequently forwarded messages. When a message has been forwarded five times, a double arrow icon will be displayed instead of the single arrow that denotes a typical forwarded message. This is very important, because if a message has been forwarded more than five times, it is usually a form of spam.
Be alert to messages from unrecognized numbers
WhatsApp allows you to send a message to anyone whose phone number you have. This means spammers can scour the web for contact details, acquire active number lists from the dark web, and even hack into other services that keep track of your phone number and then send you an unsolicited message.
For this reason, when a spam message is received in your WhatsApp inboxyou can always see it as an unrecognized number.
As you have seen, the use of the WhatsApp application has spread so much throughout the world, which means that there is a high probability that unwanted messages, known as spam, will be received in it.
Likewise, you have learned how to block and remove spam on whatsappaccording to the operating system of your mobile, as well as some recommendations that you must follow to prevent these messages from reaching your messaging application.